Birkenhead House is an elegant and sophisticated hotel overlooking the whale watching hotspot of Walker Bay in Hermanus – home to the annual Southern Right whale migration.
Accommodation is provided in just 11 rooms and the hotel can accommodate up to 22 guests, which allows for highly personalised service.
The numerous activities on offer include whale watching, either from the comfort of the hotel deck or an air or sea tour. Guests can also enjoy surfing on site (boards and wetsuits are provided), as well as nearby excursions for cycling, bird watching, kayaking or horse riding. Keen golfers can enjoy one of two championship courses, whilst hands-on foodies can try their luck at mussel picking.
The food and wine are simply delectable. The chefs use diverse local ingredients to create a fusion of African, French, Asian and Cape seafood influences. Combined with regional wines that are amongst the best in the world, the culinary experience here will live long in the memory.
The hotel has a grown-up feel, therefore, only children aged 10 and over are permitted to stay. For this reason, Birkenhead House is perfect for families with older children, or couples looking for a calm and exclusive experience.
Coral Tree luxury rating
Number of rooms
11 luxury rooms
Age 10 and over
Why we love it
"A sensational luxury hotel in a stunning location. A combination of breathtaking views, incredible food, and world-class ocean activities may mean you won’t want to leave."
Mike, Coral Tree founder
Key Highlights & Amenities
- Elegant and luxurious hotel - one of the finest in Southern Africa
- Spectacular views across Walker Bay; home to the Southern Right whale migration
- Extensive spa treatments, including massage, aromatherapy and reflexology
- Easy access to the Cape Winelands and the beauty of the Western Cape
- Horse riding, cycling, surfing, quad biking, and much more
- Diverse marine activities, including whale watching, shark diving, and ocean safaris