Sanctuary Swala Camp
Elephants congregating under massive ancient baobab trees are one of Tarangire’s iconic sights.
The drive to the southern part of the park, where Sanctuary Swala Camp (one of Tarangire’s most upmarket camps) is found, will showcase these sights for you, and many more besides.
This part of the park is even less visited than the rest of it, meaning that you and your family are likely to have most of it to yourselves, whether you are on foot, or in a vehicle.
This peaceful and elegant camp is not only an ideal base from which to explore this very pretty park, it also makes a great spot to sit and soak it all in. We recommend the raised deck in the main area for a spot of birdwatching, and contemplation of this lovely wilderness area, perhaps with a pot of tea on hand, or even a G&T?
The more active members of the family can enjoy a full day game drive complete with bush breakfast or lunch, all while being back in camp in time for a drink round the fire before dinner.
Coral Tree luxury rating
Number of rooms
12 canvas guest pavilions
Tarangire National Park
Age 6 and above (16 for walking safaris). Children under 16 are required to share with parents.
Why we love it
“Airy rooms and a high density of local wildlife make this a beautiful camp to spend time in. We have had many a lovely elephant encounter here”
Tess, Coral Tree founder
Key Highlights & Amenities
- In a secluded area of the little-visited Tarangire National Park
- At the right time of year (when the grass is short) this is an excellent base for walking safaris
- Beautiful main area with wildlife viewing deck, elephants frequent the waterhole directly below camp
- Night game drives are possible
- Open and spacious canvas tents, with indoor and outdoor showers